Sunday, January 16, 2011

Date Night In West Texas....

So as most parents know whenever the opportunity is presented to get out alone with your spouse most of us will do just about anything to make it happen. So when John called last week and said that I needed to get a babysitter because he and I were expected to be at the Andrews Chamber of Commerce dinner, I jumped at the idea of actually spending an evening conversing with adults and sharing a meal that did not involve clowns or toys or germ infested indoor playgrounds. Date night started well with my loving hubby opening doors and chit chatting, reminiscing about date nights past and how things have changed....Oh how things have changed. We arrived at the dinner just as the buffet line was opened (great timing on our part), so we grabbed a plate of bbq and found our seats. All was going well until an older man in a cowboy hat stood at the podium to present a citizenship award. Halfway into his second sentence he stuttered twice, grabbed his chest and started to sway, three men jumped up to steady him to which he then returned to the mic and stated that at least he now knew that his defibrillator was working and he continued his 10 minute presentation to introduce the winner of the award!!! No ambulance, no glass of water, no chair, he just wiped the sweat from his brow placed the cowboy hat back on his head and continued on. I was already reliving every episode of Grey's Anatomy and ER that I had ever watched in case I was called on to give CPR or perform heart surgery or something. But while I was lost in my medical drama thoughts I heard this cowboy describing the award winner as a man who had arrived in Andrews 85 years ago in a covered wagon had married his sweetheart and had lived happily with her until she died in May of 1981, then in August of 1981 he married his Sister-in-law.....what a minute.....what? I leaned over to John and whispered, "did he just say he married his dead wife's sister 3 months after the "love of his life died"????". REALLY?!? John gave me the "look" as in, "do not channel this man's dead wife and make a scene by giving this 96 year old man dirty looks across the crowd." I mean I know these things happen but is that something I really want to know about someone receiving an award? Does it make me think more of him or less of him....I'm gonna say less. I cannot even tell you what else defibrillator cowboy and then the award winner got up to receive his award and shuffled his way to the podium where he proceeded to grab the mic and go into a monologue of a day in his life when he was 6 years old that took (and I am not exaggerating here), 15 minutes. I cannot tell you what the rambling story was about except that it involved a crank ford, gasoline and a huge fire. Finally when that was over the evenings entertainment took the stage, finally a distraction that did not include death or betrayal and then she approached the mic, opened up her mouth and...YODELED! Yes our entertainment of the night was none other than the National Champion Yodeler all the way from New Mexico. She only got half a yodel out when my dear husband grabbed my purse and my hand and led/dragged me out the door. We laughed all the way to the car to which he opened my door, kissed me and promised me that if I died he would never marry my sister. Which would have been really creepy and sweet except that I don't have any sisters. Nice try Hunny!
Next date night I get to pick!

0 comments: